Established in 1909, IISc is India's leading institution of advanced education and research in the sciences and in engineering. From its beginnings, IISc has laid equal emphasis on fundamental investigations and the solution of practical problems in such a setting.
IISc's reputation and preeminence ensures that it attracts the best of young faculty members trained in the best laboratories around the world. Our faculty, numbering around 500, carries out research across 42 departments in most areas of the basic and applied sciences, publishing vigorously in premier journals.
The Institute's commitment to excellence is not restricted to the high calibre of its faculty. With some of the best students in the country seeking entry into IISc, the Institute ensures that the students who are admitted are exposed to a strong research training programme and pursue cutting edge research. The Institute has a student population of around 4,200, of which there are about 2,750 doctoral students, roughly 950 master's students, and about 500 students in a four-year, research oriented undergraduate programme in the sciences. The doctoral students are carefully selected based on their performance in national examinations, in addition to personal interviews. All the degree programmes emphasise the Institute's stated objective of conducting original investigations. The Institute also has a Centre for Continuing Education which offers several courses to those from outside IISc. These courses are designed keeping in mind the requirements of non-traditional students like high school teachers, researchers and engineers.
IISc has a vibrant and diverse campus spread over 440 acres of greenery in the city of Bengaluru, formerly Bangalore, India's hub of high-technology companies (in aerospace, electronics, and information technology), educational and research institutions, and numerous start-ups. With the help of a recently-established office called DIGITS, we are now in the process of creating a best-in-class IT and networking system.
The Institute also has a new campus at Challakere in the Chitradurga district of Karnataka. The flagship project of this 1,500 acre campus has been a training programme for science teachers. This programme has now been recognized as a Centre for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Education by the Government of India.
Vision and Mission
IISc aims to be among the world's foremost academic institutions through the pursuit of excellence in research and promotion of innovation by offering world-class education to train future leaders in science and technology and by applying science and technology breakthroughs for India's wealth creation and social welfare.
- Imparting world-class higher education in an environment of fundamental and applied research in science and engineering
- Conducting high-impact research, generating new knowledge, and disseminating this knowledge through publications in top journals and conferences
- Applying faculty expertise towards the success of national science and technology initiatives
- Applying deep knowledge in various areas to create knowhow and developing such knowhow for utilization by industry and society
- Advanced Facility for Microscopy and Microanalysis
- Biosafety Level-3 containment facility
- Computational Facilities
- COSMOS: Cosmic-ray soil water content monitoring
- Cryogenic Facility
- Flow Cytometry Facility
- IoT Laboratory, ICWAR
- LCMS facility in Division of Biological Sciences
- Macromolecular Affinity Characterization Facility
- Micro and Nano Characterization Facility (MNCF)
- National Nanofabrication Centre (NNfC)
- Nuclear Magnetic Research
- Spectroscopy and Analytical Test Facility
Final Placement-Batch 2019-20
- Students from PhD, Masters and Undergraduate Program participated in final placement for campus session 2018-19
- The placement process commenced from October 2018. Student from across the departments and programs participated during this hiring session.
- *placements on-going for batch 2018-19
- Internship Hiring for batch 2019-20 will commence from February 2019
- Duration of Internship - 3 months
- Period of Internship - May - July
- Students Eligible for Internship - PhD / M.Tech/ M.Tech (Research)/ M.Mgmt/ M.Des/ BS (Research)/ MS (Research)
- The Internship Hiring for batch 2018-19 was commenced on 1st March 2018. Students from PhD, M.Tech, M.Tech (Research), M.Des, M.Mgmt and Undergraduate program participated in this hiring season.
- Highest Stipend Offered on Campus for Batch 2018-19 - 1 lac
- Average Stipend Offered on Campus for Batch 2018-19 - 42K